The International Code Council’s Government Relations (GR) department works in collaboration with chapters, members, stakeholders and all parties interested in advancing the mission of the Code Council to support the adoption and use of the highest quality codes, standards, products and services of the Council and its family of solutions — ICC Evaluation Service (ICC-ES), International Accreditation Service (IAS), ICC Solar Rating & Certification Council (ICC- SRCC), SK Ghosh, General Code and NTA Inc. — for the safety and performance of the built environment. The GR team does this through advocacy and by forging strategic alliances with entities whose objectives are compatible to those of the Code Council.
New HUD rules require ICC-certified inspectors
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) issued a new rule that requires lenders offering FHA-backed mortgages use International Code Council certified inspectors in certain instances.
July, 2020 ICC Government Relations Monthly Report:
Every month, the Government Relations staff puts out a newsletter filled with hot information that all members should know. Get this month's by clicking here.
The International Code Council is closely tracking how the global novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is affecting our industry. We have compiled aggregated information from the Code Council, governments, and building and fire prevention departments for you to use here.
Check out Codes Save, our newest Code Adoption Resource Kit!
Government Relations Featured Content:
- Seismic Functional Recovery Portal - your one stop for information on seismic functional recovery for new construction!
- NAHB Statement of Support for the 2018 I-Codes
- ICC's Ryan Colker testified before congress on the National Windstorm Impact Reduction Program - read his testimony here!
- ICC Comments on EPA's Water Reuse Action Plan.
- The Innovation in Code Administration Award
Not seeing the news item you're looking for? Check the Archive.
Code Adoption Resources
Code Adoption Resources
ICC provides information and support to assist you in your efforts to adopt and implement the International Codes.
- Codes Save: Up-To-Date Building Codes Support Safe, Sustainable and Resilient Communities
- Our Most Up to Date Adoption Chart: State Adoptions
- Sample Adoption Ordinances
- Code Adoption Resources
- IECC Resource Page
- Coalition for Current Safety Codes
- International Adoptions
- IgCC Toolkit
- Resilience Toolkit
- Code Adoption Toolkit
- Government Relations Area of Responsibility Map
- GR Technical Resources Area of Responsibility Map
- Government Relations Directory
Reports & Studies
- ISPSC Adoption Report
- 2019 National Building Code Assessment Report
- Natural Hazard Mitigation Saves: 2018 Interim Report Summary
- Building Codes and Resilience Study
- The Hurricane Harvey in Texas MAT Report
- Building Official Membership Council
- Fire Service Membership Council
- PMG Official Membership Council
- Emerging Leaders Membership Council
- ICC Global Membership Council
- Sustainability Membership Council
The Federal Team guides ICC activities and relations with Executive Branch agencies of the Federal Government. ICC continues to strengthen its interaction with key decision-making federal agencies to secure their recognition and use of the I-Codes and standards, ICC services, as well as their membership and participation in ICC.
- Federal and National Activities
- House of Codes and Other Resources
- Comments and Statements on Proposed Federal Regulations
- Federal Use of the I-Codes
The Federal Team guides ICC activities and relationships with Members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate, House and Senate Committees, and their respective staff members. ICC continues to strengthen its interaction with Congress, and has become a valuable resource for Congressional on issues relating to building safety, building energy use, and disaster mitigation in the built environment. Take a look at Current Congressional Legislation!
State and Local Activities
State and Local Activities and Resources
- View maps for I-Code Adoption information
- Locate your state's Chapters, Board Liaison or Staff Liaison
- Submit Jurisdiction Adoptions
- Submit Code Adoption
United States Usage of the I-Codes
Let us know if your jurisdiction has adopted any of the I-Codes.
Download a PDF of the code adoption maps.